Monday, October 15, 2012

remembering Riley

In honor of Pregnancy and Infant Loss Remembrance Day, this morning I'm re-posting a piece I wrote in January of 2009.  It's for Riley Jordan, who left a permanent mark on my life and heart.  The pain dulls with time, but I will never forget the precious little one who graced my life for such a short season.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Riley

Two years ago
you slipped away
Little by little
And I? I lingered, between despair and hope

God alone saw the moment when
your spirit flew
I (your mother) could not hold you back
Though I prayed for you to stay

So that I could know you.
Hold you.
Soothe. Rock. Tend.
Mother you.

But still you flew away
To a different destiny
Than I had hoped

I know you're loved.
Held. At peace.
I know you'll have no tears
No regret
No pain
Never a broken heart

But I still miss you.





No comments: