Saturday, September 12, 2009

roasted summer tomatoes

One of my favorite things to learn this summer is to make roasted tomatoes. So simple, yet so delicious.

I've been enjoying such a bounty of tomatoes, between the CSA and our friends' garden surplus. I've loved making extra batches to put into the freezer for some cold rainy day this winter. I'm convinced that the wonderful taste of tomatoes will be like a ray of sunshine.


Preheat the oven to 375* F.

Prepare:
-approximately 4 lbs (about 8 cups) tomatoes, cut into 1 or 1 1/2 inch wedges
-1 sweet onion, cut into 1 or 1 1/2 inch wedges
-15 or 20 garlic cloves, peeled

Place the vegetables into roasting pans. (I used metal pans before, but since the move my edged pans are MIA...so glass it is for me.) They can be crowded, but try to keep the vegetables in a single layer.

Top with:
-1 c. fresh basil, torn (if on hand, I've recently been using dried basil instead)
-generous drizzle of olive oil
-salt and pepper sprinkled over


Roast about 1 hour, but check frequently. You want the skins to be wrinkled, but you don't want them to be burnt.


After the pans come out, let the vegetables cool. My preference at this point is to transfer them to my food processor, and process into a chunky sauce. We love it on pizza, as well as served over noodles. Delicioso!

2 comments:

Rena said...

Oooh, this looks good! We always have so many extra tomatoes, I've built up quite a collection of recipes that use lots of them. Do you add anything else when you make them into the sauce?

Mindy said...

Nope, I just process everything and put it in jars. We only have one more jar of this in the freezer...so sad!