Monday, September 21, 2009

the big V

No, it's not what you think.

Not even close.

Jeff and I have had many wonderful chances to explore the world together. We were married for 5 years before God blessed us with children, and in that time we visited New York City, Minneapolis, Orlando, San Francisco, and other places. And since our boys have been born, we've been blessed - many times over! - by the fact that their grandparents make wonderful substitute caregivers. So it's not as though we never get away, just the two of us.

But...something has shifted. There's a change in the wind, something big looming on the horizon which we're incredibly excited about.

Do you wanna know what it is?

In a matter of just a few days, we are going on a cruise! Yep, my husband and I are going to leave Oregon (and our boys) behind for a while, and go sailing the ocean blue. We'll be enjoying sun, sand, and all manner of attractions. We'll be sleeping, sightseeing, dining, and... dare I say dancing?

We've never taken a vacation like this before.

The majority of our getaways have consisted of the chilly, yet beautiful, Oregon coast. Our honeymoon was a bargain, we-stayed-at-a-friend's-place kind of deal. But this...this feels like luxury.

I'm not really accustomed to luxury. Neither is Jeff. We've been saving, budgeting, making careful choices with our money, for a long time. We make do with ripped fabric on our living room furniture, and an ancient vacuum which frustrates us both to high heaven. I wash and re-use gallon-sized plastic bags. I think it's safe to say that we were raised frugally, and that we live frugally.

But next week? Next week is about romance, fun, adventure, and getting away from the craziness that has become our home life in the last 9 months. Next week is going to be different. Next week? Will be a treat.

We will be escaping the daily grind for a while. Getting pampered. Enjoying a true getaway. I have no doubt that I'll miss my children, and that my hands may itch to bake something.

Still... for now, I'm anticipating a taste of the sweet life.

4 comments:

tlc said...

I am so excited for you! Every couple should have a special getaway like that. I am thrilled that you will be "just the two of you" and that you will be feeling like "the rich and famous." Yippeeeeeeeeeee!

Mama said...

We are excited for you. Wishing you much fun, relaxation, and wonderful memories.

Trish said...

You guys are going to have a blast!!

Sarah, Nathen, Aiden, and Evan said...

Aww that is awesome Mindy. I hope you guys have a terrific time. You both deserve it. You've gone through a lot with the housing stuff the last few months.