Saturday, February 14, 2009

Red Pepper Quiche

This recipe is from "Nourishing Traditions" by Sally Fallon. (page 445)

Red Pepper Quiche

1/2 recipe yogurt dough ***
2 red peppers, seeded and cut into a julienne
1 medium onion, finely sliced
2 T. extra virgin olive oil
3 egg yolks
1/2 cup creme fraiche or piima cream (I would imagine that cultured sour cream or yogurt may work as a substitute if you can't find these)
sea salt and pepper
1 cup grated Parmesan or Monterey Jack cheese


Yogurt Dough:***
  • 1/2 c. plain whole yogurt
  • 1 c. butter, softened
  • 3 1/2 c. spelt or whole wheat flour
  • 2 t. sea salt
  • unbleached white flour
***Or use a flaky pie crust. I find yogurt dough delicious and easy, though, and it is very nourishing.




First: Cream yogurt with butter. Blend in flour and salt. Cover and leave in a warm place for 12 to 24 hours.


Roll out on a pastry cloth using unbleached flour to prevent sticking. Roll out and line 10-inch French-style tart pan, or a pie pan (I just use my pie pan).

Heat oven to 325 degrees F. Prick well with a fork and half bake the crust for 30-35 minutes.



Meanwhile, saute peppers and onion in olive oil until soft. Beat yolks with cream, seasonings and half the cheese. Strew the peppers & onions over the crust and pour egg mixture over.


Top with the remaining cheese.


Bake at 350 for another 30 minutes.


Serve and enjoy!


Our family loves this recipe. It it delicious! Unfortunately, there is rarely any left for another meal. I'm going to have to start doubling the recipe soon!

*ETA that I did not roll out my crust, I actually just put the dough in the pan and shaped it with my fingers. It would've been prettier that way, but I was in a hurry. ~M

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow! That looks fabulous, Mindy! I will have to try that with sprouted grain flour and goat cheese. The pictures you took are wonderful, too. Love, Wardeh

Anonymous said...

Thanks! I'll have to try it, too. It sounds and looks delicious.

Joy said...

I love quiche, will have to try the yogurt dough.
Thank you for sharing

Searching for God in the everyday said...

That looks yummy! How's school going?