Thursday, June 9, 2011

nourishing summer snacks


I've had a lot of kids in my house lately. Besides my own brood, we have three neighbor girls who are frequently around at afternoon snack-time.

And frankly, I don't buy a lot of pre-made snacks. The stuff do I like costs a bit extra, so it's pretty rare that I buy it. So I'm attempting to keep a full supply of snacks around. With three extra children, though, they go pretty quickly. For example, my awesome new popsicle mold holds six frozen treats, which disappear in a flash. Thankfully, Elise doesn't eat them yet. But there are none left over for my poor husband after the locusts have devoured their sweet treats.

LinkThe thing is, it's important to me to offer good stuff to these kids. So I've been wracking my brain, and I thought I'd share a few things I've come up with.


Nut-Based Power Bars
LinkThese delicious morsels have been a favorite in our household for several years now. Grain free and lightly sweetened, topped with a thin layer of chocolate, they're deliciously satisfying. They're definitely a crowd-pleaser.

Buttery Homemade Crackers
Homemade crackers that are simple and popular with folks of all ages, these crackers go great with cheese, peanut butter, or alone. The only downside is the time they take to roll out, cut, etc....paired with the fact that they're gobbled up so quickly when served to a horde of hungry kids. But definitely something I feel good about serving!

Soaked, Whole Grain Muffins
I use the recipe from The Maker's Diet by Jordan Rubin. These muffins are simple, extremely moist, and satisfying. So far the favorite has been blueberry flavor, though the cinnamon raisin variety is good, too. I love that the recipe calls for soaking the flour, so as to neutralize the phytatic acid found in whole grains.


And last but not least, a quintessential summer treat!


Berry Popsicles

1 c. frozen berries
1 banana
1 c. whole milk yogurt
1/2. raw local honey

Blend together thoroughly (I use my blender), pour into popsicle molds, and freeze. Enjoy!



2 comments:

Danielle said...

Yum! We make popsicles that way, too. And (when they are on sale) we pop grapes into the freezer and eat them like mini popsicles. This week I tried a carrot cake recipe out of The Gluten-Free Almond Flour Cookbook and turned it into muffins. It got 3 out of 5 (kids who liked it).

Trisha said...

Mmmmmm. Do you have to use whole milk yogurt? And you mean plain yogurt right? My four go through snacks at an alarming rate. I have a cracker addict so I think I will try to make those too. I personally love anything with chocolate and nuts though.