Tuesday, March 24, 2009

homemade crackers

I've had some requests, and thought I'd share a few cracker recipes here. I've made homemade crackers maybe six times now. The first recipe is still our favorite. The second recipe (which I won't share here) I made was not a big hit. Just recently I made some that everyone except Owen really likes. I think he prefers his crackers a bit on the crumbly side.

Our family's favorite recipe is still the first one I ever made. It's Rich Whole Grain Crackers, and it comes from Kimi at The Nourishing Gourmet. Feel free to check out the recipe here. This site always includes great photos as well. I think I rolled these out a bit thicker, and that's why Owen liked them so much. They're really easy for Mr. Six Teeth to eat if they're a bit crumbly.

Last weekend I tried a new recipe, from the book Eat Fat, Lose Fat by Dr. Mary Enig and Sally Fallon. These are the ladies who also wrote Nourishing Traditions. The recipe is as follows.


Coconut Crackers

2 1/2 cups spelt, kamut, wheat, or rye flour
1 cup plain yogurt
1 t. sea salt
1 1/2 t. baking powder
1/2 cup melted coconut oil, divided
unbleached all-purpose four

Mix flour with yogurt and leave in a warm place for 12-24 hours.

Preheat oven to 200 degrees F. Place soaked flour, salt, baking powder, and 1/4 cup coconut oil in a food processor and process until well blended.

Roll out to about 1/16 inch on a pastry cloth dusted with all-purpose flour to prevent sticking. Cut into 2-inch squares with a knife (a pizza cutter works beautifully). Place on oiled baking sheets, brush with remaining 1/4 c. coconut oil, and bake in oven for several hours (I baked them for three hours), until dry & crisp.

Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator. Happy snacking!

No comments: