Saturday, March 28, 2009

my life, in books

Does anyone else tend to narrate their day in their head with Facebook-type statuses? No? Just me? Ah, well. Good to know.

Jeff has taken the two older boys up on the mountain today; our church took a bus up there for a Snow Day. It's been a much-anticipated outing in our house, especially in that Benjamin missed his first chance at attending last year's Snow Day. He was sick that weekend, the poor soul. At any rate, those kids love to play in the snow, and have been itching to get up on the mountain for over a year now. We haven't been able to go as a family, but I'm so glad that they could go tramp around in the white stuff today.

As for me, I'm here at home with Owen, who is miserable with a cold. Because of this, I haven't gotten as much accomplished today as I'd hoped, but during his afternoon nap did some more packing.

Much to my husband's dismay, what I've packed mostly so far is books. We have books in nearly every room in our house, including the dining room, where we've made good use of the built-in shelves next to the fireplace. (We shall have to find another home for those in the new house...) We have books from nearly every part of our lives, although I did get rid of my Sweet Valley High collection a few years ago. But this week I've been interested to note the variety of authors whose works I've been packing away.

We've got Max Lucado, Brennan Manning, Charles Swindoll, Billy Graham, George MacDonald. There's L.M. Montgomery (author of the famous Anne of Green Gables, as well as a host of other charming tales), Louisa May Alcott, & Victor Hugo. And Jennifer Weiner, Belva Plain, and Maeve Binchy. There are books containing writings by and about the late great Rich Mullins (so dear to me). And we mustn't forget Jan Karon, Beverly Lewis, Michael Phillips, Bodie Thoene, and Francine Rivers.

Well, I actually don't own any books by Francine Rivers. But I adore her stories, and I hope to begin collecting them someday.

There are dusty, be-doodled, beloved diaries, books on dating & marriage, childbirth & parenting, Bible study books, books of quotations, devotionals, and quite a range of Bible translations. And Jeff has his own eclectic collection: Dilbert, Calvin & Hobbes, Foxtrot, books on Chess, glassware, John Grisham, Tom Clancy, J.R.R. Tolkien, and many more.

Each volume represents something to me. Past, Present, and the Future as well. Within each cover is perspective, counsel, and even sometimes wisdom. I love my books. But (almost) even more, I love what they mean to me. The memories behind them. Each one is an old friend, an influence on who I am and what is valuable to me.

So I guess they're worth the heavy lifting when it comes to moving time. I wouldn't want to leave any dear old chums behind.

4 comments:

Jeanne said...

I just finished Cornelia Funke's Inkheart, and am deciding about continuing the adventure into the next book of the Inkheart trilogy (Inkspell). I found this comment in a review and think I may go ahead and get Inkspell. "Just a few chapters into Inkspell, Mo (a.k.a. Silvertongue) sagely says to his daughter, 'Stories never really end, Meggie, even if the books like to pretend they do. Stories always go on. They don't end on the last page, any more than they begin on the first page.' Inkheart and Inkspell are adventures for people who love books the way we do. I heartily recommend them, if you haven't already tried them. I always look forward to unpacking our books and getting them all sorted and settled into their new homes when we move. Besides the people, it's the books and paintings that make my house my home.

Joy said...

You are such a kindred spirit!
Hope Owen is feeling better soon.

? said...

Your genre of books is very interesting but have you guys read any russian literature i.e. war and peace by Tolstoy or any of Doestovsky's books etc? Interesting blog.

Mindy said...

No, I haven't ready any of those yet. There's so much out there!