Thursday, March 19, 2009

sold!

We've had an exciting week here! Last Friday we had someone come through the house, and a mere two hours later, he made made an offer. It was pretty low, so we responded with a counteroffer. Then on Sunday night we heard that the man was coming to look again, with his wife this time. No pressure or anything! His wife hadn't seen it before he made the offer; I was beside myself, trying to leave everything just so.

At any rate, we heard later that night: we had a deal! So, our house is essentially sold...aside from the inspections and the details, closing, etc. We're just praying that everything will go smoothly from here on out.

In other (related) news, last night Jeff and I made an offer on a house. It's vacant, and owned by the bank. We're really excited about it ~ the home is spacious, and in good shape, with a nice kitchen, a large dining area (musts for me!) and a lovely big utility room. I have never had a utility room! Lastly, this home has a yard. It's not a fantastic yard, but it's essentially a blank slate. I'm sure it will be a while before we do anything with it, but at least it's there, and someday...

Our buyer wants to close April 21st, and take possession two days later. (*Gulp!*) We're trying to time this all very carefully. Our purchase is contingent on the sale going through...so no overlap. We are going to be working like crazy to get out of here in time.

If anyone has words of wisdom about moving with kids, please feel free to share! We used to be expert movers, but that was before we became parents. Moving with children (and all their stuff) is more than a little intimidating.

And please pray for us. We're so thankful for all that God has done. Still, the next month will be filled with packing and working out the details. We're so excited, and nervous, overwhelmed, and making plans. There is so much to do, and I'm sure it will be stressful. There's no doubt that it will be worth it in the end...but first we have to get there!

10 comments:

Searching for God in the everyday said...

Congratulations you two! That's awesome! We are excited for you and praying...

Deb said...

Wow! That was so fast! Great! As far as moving with kids.. we called in the grandparents. Russ and Judy moved our stuff across the country then stayed here to help move it in, and I went to live with my parents during the selling of the house- it was just too crazy to keep it clean with 2 little ones by myself. Wish we were closer the boys could come play while you got unpacked.. they still could- it would just be a longer distance?! Something to think about :-) It would be fun to add a little testoserone ( sp?) up here! :-) Good luck! oh, and do you have pictures?!?- your nosey cousin wants to see the new place! :-)

Mindy said...

I don't really want to put it on the blog, but I'll email you guys a link. Better yet, I'll send it in a message on Facebook! :)

paige said...

The best advice i can give is to fill as many garbage bags as possible :) hehe. We always say, 'get rid of the stuff to make room for the people'. Your boys will be so excited... it takes a little more *time* & *effort* moving with little ones under feet, but we've done it so... *so* many times & hopefully you'll have lots of help!!

Lauren said...

YEA!!! What an amazing week f or you!

Moving with kids can be a breeze if you do it right.

We moved last year the week before I had our 2nd. For our 3 year old, we tried to keep as much continuity as possible. I pre-packed like a crazy person over 3 weeks. Anything non-essential was packed. All photos/decor/kitchen items/clothes.

I donated and purged a lot.

Our garage looked like a warehouse.

For my daughter, I kept out just enough so she didn't notice anything missing. I kept 4 small sterilite buckets of toys, her tv, and bedding. On moving day, I snapped lids on the buckets, and put her bedding in it's own bucket with all of her lovies. As soon as we arrived at the new place, I put together her bed, made it, then opened up the toys and set up her tv. Essentially, her room looked the same & she didn't even notice.

A lot of her bigger things, and the majority of her clothing weren't unpacked for a few weeks....

I printed up a packing calender, and wrote out what I wanted to have packed on each day, and marked it off as it was done.

Sorry this is so long.

Mindy said...

Paige-- I've been getting into the mood to toss stuff out. And that's saying a lot for a pack rat!

Lauren-- No, long is good! I'm terrified of moving with kids, and that's really good advice. I figure if we can get the Wii set up early on the big boys won't be underfoot too much. And they'll be happy. The baby, on the other hand, will be wanting to be into everything. Jeff calls him "Captain Chaos."

Anonymous said...

That's so wonderful! Dad and I are so happy for you guys. We knew things would work out.

Be sure to label the boxes with the rooms they go to so when you have help from friends, things will be set in the right rooms. But I'm sure you guys knew that already.

Joy said...

Congratulations, that is really wonderful news!
No advice on moving with kids but having moved several times would echo the PP recommendation to mark the boxes with which room they go to.

If you have access to the new house before the move, paint and maybe let the older boys chose the color for their room

Carolyn said...

wow -- how exciting! congratulations!!! hope the move goes smoothly....we have yet to move with kids either, so no advice from me! Sorry.

Rena said...

Congratulations--wonderful news! Hope the next weeks go smoothly!