Monday, April 12, 2010

buttery cinnamon rolls


For, the past few months I've been trying to perfect my method of making cinnamon rolls. I'm really happy with the last couple of batches, and since I've had a request, I thought I'd share.

Dough:
For the dough itself, I use this Organic Soaked Homemade Bread recipe from Kelly the Kitchen Kop. I make the 3-loaf recipe, and use 2/3 of it for baking sandwich bread, reserving 1/3 of the dough for a pan of cinnamon rolls.

Once the dough is finished kneading, (and I've got the bread rising in the appropriate pans), I roll out the last portion of it for the cinnamon rolls.

Rolls:
1 stick butter, melted
1/4 c. Rapadura or Sucanat
2 t. cinnamon

Use a well-floured countertop, rolling the dough out to 1/4 to 1/2-inch thick. Try to make it a rectangle in shape. Then brush the dough with melted butter, and wait a few minutes to let the butter cool. (I've found that if I work too quickly, the melted butter will squeeze out when the dough is rolled up.) Sprinkle evenly with a cinnamon/sugar mixture.

Then, carefully roll the dough, starting with the longest side. Using a knife, cut rolls off 1/2 to 3/4 inch thick. Place in a buttered 9x13 pan, leaving a little space for them to rise. You may brush the tops with any remaining melted butter, for extra yumminess.

Let rise approximately 2 hours, or til nearly doubled in size.

Bake at 350* F for 15-20 minutes. Remove from oven and allow to cool...as long as you can resist, that is!

(If you enjoy frosting on your cinnamon rolls, I recommend this Basic Vanilla Frosting recipe from Wardeh at GNOWGLINS.)

4 comments:

Searching for God in the everyday said...

Sounds yummy!

tlc said...

Hi Mindy,
Those sound great! When I make cinnamon rolls I learned a great tip for cutting the rolls. You take a length of thread and loop it around a section of dough -the size of the roll that you desire- cross the ends and pull taught, effectively slicing the rolls without having to worry about squishing them. :-)

Mindy said...

That's smart, Traci! Sadly, I rarely know where my thread is... ;)

Monica said...

Looks VERY Delicious! Appreciate you sharing so much! Keep up the good work!