Monday, April 19, 2010

heroes

Years ago, when I would imagine my future life as a mother, I never, ever guessed that my children and I would spend so much time talking about superheroes.

Spider-Man. Batman. Ironman. Superman. And oh, so many more.

There are discussions about who has which suits to put on (we can thank video games for that aspect, I believe), who can walk in hot lava. Who can walk in toxic waste. And of course, who has the ability to fly.

We regularly cover who has which "powers," tools, and abilities.

A few years ago, construction trucks were all the rage in my home. Today, it's superheroes.

Now, heroes can come in many forms. Some wear Spandex and sport capes. Some have super-suction ears, and some are heroes because they "lend a helping hand." (Thank you, Veggie Tales!)

And heroes can be other kinds of individuals, too. A songwriter who pours out his heart with vulnerable and touching nakedness. Someone who gives selflessly of their time and possessions. One who offers to hold a baby during a church service, to give a weary young mother's arms a much-needed rest. A hero can be a person who fights for to save lives...or a friend who has fought the good fight, and is living out the few days left to her as best she can.

My hero can be the friend who listen with empathy, or the one who bravely says what I don't want to hear. And I've certainly found a hero in my husband: the funny, sensitive guy who volunteers, works, frets, and sweats for what he believes is worthwhile.

Heroes come in all shapes, sizes, and abilities. I think the key is being willing. Noticing a need. And most importantly, acting in love.

Because not every hero wears a cape.
8Above all, love each other deeply, because love covers over a multitude of sins. 9Offer hospitality to one another without grumbling. 10Each one should use whatever gift he has received to serve others, faithfully administering God's grace in its various forms. 11If anyone speaks, he should do it as one speaking the very words of God. If anyone serves, he should do it with the strength God provides, so that in all things God may be praised through Jesus Christ. To him be the glory and the power for ever and ever. Amen. --1 Peter 4: 8-11

3 comments:

steve and corrine said...

You rock! You just blew my sox off, DIL! I opened up your blog looking for a "Not Me Monday" because I love what you share there and then I got blessed big time by this piece. The way you write and how you share the deeper meaning of God's Word to you really blesses me. We were reading and studying Max Lucado's "Facing Your Giants" last night at Small Group and I love his writing, but in my book, DIL, you are right up there!

Mama said...

Ditto! You do rock! We always love your comments and you always have something encouraging and uplifting to say! God is definitely using you as a hero too.

tlc said...

Thanks, Mindy! That was wonderful.