Saturday, June 12, 2010

thousand island salad dressing


My favorite salad dressing is Thousand Island. It has been for years. In my Fat-Free Days, I made my own regularly: unfortunately, it called for white sugar, commercial mayonnaise and several other ingredients which I consider undesirable these days. After my food conversion, I feared that Thousand Island and I may have parted ways forever.

But a while back, I decided to try a recipe conversion using real food ingredients. It's costly in terms of my supplies, and it does contain a sweetener (however natural), so I only make it every so often. At my house, the basic salad dressing is this delicious vinaigrette from The Nourishing Gourmet. But for those times when I want a little indulgence, I am glad to have this do-over of my old favorite.


Thousand Island Salad Dressing

1/4 cup hot water
2 T. Rapadura or Sucanat
1/4 t. sea salt

1 c. sugar-free mayonnaise (I supplement with sour cream if I'm low on mayo)
1/4 c. sugar-free ketchup
2 T. white vinegar
2 t. minced onion OR 1/4 t. onion powder
2 dashes black pepper

Dissolve Rapadura and salt in hot water. Add the remaining ingredients, stirring well to combine. Cover and refrigerate to blend.

Enjoy!

No comments: