Saturday, June 12, 2010

a new season at the farmers' market

It's no secret that I love the farmers' market. The colors, the sounds, the sights, excite me. And don't even get me started about all that wonderful fresh produce!

Here's what I picked up today. It was a day drenched in sunshine, and the outing did my heart good.

I almost forgot - we also picked up these hydroponic tomatoes. I've heard mixed things about hydroponics, but these were so gorgeous that I simply couldn't resist. I have a hard time waiting for tomatoes, and I'm the first to admit it!

A few weeks ago, for the opening day, we made it a family outing. (Yes, my children desperately needed sunhats. I realized that about 30 seconds after we parked our van. Don't worry, we picked one up for Elise on that very morning.)

Today marked our first fresh strawberries of the season! We could not be more excited. Berry season has begun!

And now I'm realizing that we must start a Berry Fund. We have savings funds for the CSA, our quarter of grass-fed beef, and coconut oil - but our love for Oregon berries could just about break the bank...





1 comment:

Kristin said...

We love strawberries, too! They don't stay in the house long. And blueberries are another favorite. We are so excited because a friend is going out of town next week and needs someone to pick her blueberries so they don't go bad on the bush! :-)