Friday, February 13, 2009

us, recently

A few random tidbits~
  • Jeff & I are still plugging away on out attempt to sell the house. After a record-breaking number of people who came to see it last week, we haven't had a single call this week. But I'm choosing to believe that it's only because we're having an Open House this Sunday, and everyone's just planning to come then. I guess time will tell. In the meantime, we're packing up as much stored stuff as we can, in an effort to make the house seem less jam-packed. That is tricky for two dedicated pack rats...
  • Jeff and I have been making an effort to have more regular date nights together. So far we've been reasonably successful, thanks to some great babysitters and even greater grandparents. It's a busy, busy time, but we are spending more time alone together.
  • It's been six nights now since I've had to get up to feed Owen. Oh, he's been sleeping "through the night" for ages, but I consider sleeping 7 hours or so "through the night," and when you consider that Owen's bedtime is 7pm or so...well, I have been getting up with him once or twice a night for quite a while. But last Saturday night, perhaps in honor of his 11-month birthday, Owen started sleeping 11 hours! From bedtime til morning, for six days and counting. And I am loving it!
  • Kyle continues to be Mr. Drama. He loves regaling us with stories at dinnertime, be they the plot of a video he watched recently, an encounter in the grocery store, or the tale of his race with Ben on some video game. His stories are full of suspense and detail. We wonder if he will be an actor when he grows up. Yikes?
  • Benjamin is really coming into his own in a lot of ways. He's such a big helper with Owen and in the kitchen. When asked to do his chores, he rarely argues any more, and is getting pretty efficient and skilled at accomplishing those chores. He's en enormous help with Owen, and when he decides to be, he's great with Kyle, too. It's so great to listen to them when they are getting along, cooperating, and playing together nicely.
  • Owen's first birthday is in a matter of weeks, and I have done next to nothing as far planning or preparation. I want to have a little party for him -- nothing big -- but we've had parties for all the other first birthdays. And while we may not be able to keep it up forever, I want to do one for Owen, too. I better get cracking!
  • I'm still doing a lot of experimenting in the kitchen, and loving it. I have a sourdough starter, and have made four (?) batches now. It's really delicious, but I am still perfecting my method. It's fun, though, and frugal, and the family seems to really enjoy it. And best of all, I feel good about the health benefits of sourdough. I've also been experimenting with making crackers, candy, and dips, as well as a variety of other things. It's been really exciting to fall back in love with cooking, and to feel that it is making a difference for my family.
  • Another exciting change (at least I think it is!) is that, in an effort to be more frugal and also to avoid bringing toxins into our home, I am changing the way I do my cleaning. I have begun to make shampoo and conditioner. I am liking the results, and am looking forward to learning to mix my own laundry detergent and dishwashing detergent. This website has a lot of wonderful ideas in that area.

So there are a few things that have been going on lately. We're busy, but happy, exploring news ways of doing things, and trying to spend more intentional time, both as a married couple, and with our children. Life is definitely a challenge, but we're trying to strive toward nourishing our family, our bodies, and our world.

7 comments:

Joy said...

Great to catch up on your family. Not sure what to do for Elisabeth's birthday either, but did find a cute 1st birthday onesie today.

Brigetta said...

your own Shampoo and Conditioner Mindy!!! Now this I call CRUNCHY :)

Mindy said...

Yeah, but I'm showering daily and getting haircuts every 7 weeks or so. Wearing make-up and underwear, shaving my underarms. I'm a suburban hippie, I guess...

Anonymous said...

You're so resourceful! We're proud of you. Thanks for the update. We hope your open house will be a success!

Searching for God in the everyday said...

You are so adventurous! I love it! It has never crossed my mind to make my own soaps (other than the decorative not-so-useful kind!)

Mindy said...

Ha! I never would have thought of myself as "adventurous." But, I guess I can see why you might call me that.

Carolyn said...

thanks for the update on your family! hope your open house went great yesterday!