Thursday, October 15, 2009

October 15

Today is Pregnancy and Infant Loss Remembrance Day. Women, men, and families across North America are remembering the loss of an unknowable number of precious babies.

Many of you know that the loss of my baby, Riley Jordan - who, though I was only 11 1/2 weeks into the pregnancy, was a baby - in January of 2007 affected me deeply. It left a mark on me which I will always carry.

Sadly, the premature end of pregnancy isn't uncommon. In fact, if you haven't experienced it, the odds are that someone you love has. Still, it often isn't discussed. People don't know what to say, so they tend to not say anything at all. But as time has gone on, I've realized more and more that these tragedies affect so many. And those whose lives have been touched by a little soul who flew away so soon...we will never forget.

In memory of those precious little ones who left our lives unexpectedly, I invite you to light a candle tonight at 7 PM. Keep it burning for an hour. This is for all time zones, all over the world. Let's come together in an "International Wave of Light," to honor those whom our arms will never hold. Those whose faces will never grace our tables, whose knees we will never kiss and bandage. Let's remember those sweet babies...and let's pray for one another as we do. Time may not heal all wounds, but God offers us peace and comfort. We can know that our little ones are safe in His hands.

If you'd like more information about Pregnancy and Infant Loss Remembrance Day, click HERE. And if you'd like to share about a loss in the comments section below, I invite you to do that. There's a beauty in calling our little ones by name, and sharing their stories.

5 comments:

Ami said...

Thank you for this post, Mindy. I told the stories of my babies on my blog today, and my candle is burning right now. ((()))

paige said...

mindy - if it weren't for your wee riley & my baby hope - i'm not even sure that we would've met - & gotten the chance to encourage each other through our pregnancies with Owen & Gage.
i'm grateful that Father holds them both now & that they are safely Home.

Jennie said...

Add Joshua and Eli to the list. Though I'm sad we all had a reason to meet, I'm glad we had the opportunity to support one another.

Mindy said...

You know, ladies, I was trying to remember today where I met who, where. I think I met Ami on the August 2007 board, and later again on the Miscarriage board, which was where I met Jennie. Then Jennie showed up on the February 2008 board, which is where she and I met Paige. Isn't it interesting how these losses link women together?

steve and corrine said...

Mindy, thank you for this post. It is good to remember all of the gifts that God gives us and each life is precious. We will always remember Riley and pray that God will give you and Jeff comfort.