Thursday, January 13, 2011

potato cheese soup

This recipe is based on my mama's Golden Cream Soup. It's something I grew up eating - and it was one of my favorite meals. Now, I've adapted it a bit, and it's something I love serving my own family. I do double my mom's recipe, because a single batch barely gets us through dinner, and this soup is just as awesome the next day. It really hits the spot on chilly winter nights.


Potato Cheese Soup
6 cups peeled, chopped potatoes
3 quarts chicken stock
1 cup peeled, chopped carrots
1 cup chopped celery
1/2 cup chopped onions
2 T. parsley flakes
1 t. sea salt
2 dashes pepper
3 cups milk
2 T. flour
4 cups shredded cheese

In a large saucepan, combine potatoes, stock, vegetables, parsley, and seasonings. Mix well, cover and simmer 15-20 minutes or until the vegetables are all tender.

In a separate container (a good idea is a tight-fitting lidded container), gradually add milk to the flour, mixing well. Once this mixture is combined, add it to the pan. Cook til thickened, 10-15 minutes.

Add cheese. Stir til melted. Serve and enjoy!

No comments: