Friday, January 14, 2011

to my husband

Dearest Jeff,

You are such an unusual man. I am continually amazed at the ways you have led our family. I'm not even talking about the obvious stuff, like providing for us so well, and giving us the security a budget of bills paid on time. I'm not even talking about the way you plan romantic getaways for us...trips to the beach, the "Weekend to Remember" conferences. I'm not even talking about getting up at night when a particular son is having a rough time.

What I'm talking about is stuff like...guiding us toward water birth and eventually, the idea of birthing at home. Most husbands would've resisted, terrified at the idea. But you were the guiding force behind all that, and I am so very glad we decided to go down that path together.

What I'm talking about is stuff like...having a heart for homeschooling. I could never understand what you liked about it...I certainly resisted the idea for a long time. But you were right. I believe that the Lord made your heart tender for homeschooling, because if you hadn't been supportive, it would've been nearly impossible for me to take this plunge. I can never thank you enough for your support in the endeavor.

What I'm talking about is stuff like...not closing the door on more babies, no matter how much I campaigned. When I was absolutely sure I was "done," and was even fairly impatient with your lack of agreement, you stood firm. You had no peace about the idea, and there was no way I could expect you to make such a decision under those circumstances. Once again, you were right. Just a few months after that, God dramatically changed my own heart on the subject of more children.

My wise, sweet husband, I am forever grateful for your gentle leadership in our family, and your heart for God's will. Thank you for being patient with me.

You are a gem, a treasure. It is a rare guy who would do these things, choose these paths, accept these responsibilities. It is a rare guy who would regularly stand up in church and share very vulnerable stuff, for the sake of shining light on a dark subject and encouraging other men. Even though it's hard, and even though it's uncomfortable, you do it.

And so, I wanted to tell you how proud I am of you. How thankful. And how honored I am that God has allowed me to spend my life with you.

I thank my God every time I remember you. ~Philippians 1:3

1 comment:

Jeff said...

I'm speechless.

Thank you. I'm a little embarrassed by your praise, but without God and without you, God's most precious gift to me, I wouldn't be able to do any of those things for you.

And I thank God every time I remember you, too.

~Jeff