Monday, June 4, 2012

10 things I learned while my husband was away fishing

For the past four days, my husband Jeff and our oldest child Benjamin have been away on a fishing trip.  From what I gather, it's been a tremendous time: Ben's first time fishing, four generations of men from my husband's family.  I'm so thankful for the time they've had to spend together, enjoying God's creation and bonding together.  I'm so thankful for the Godly men from whom my sons can learn, and see their walks of faith.

And I'm so thankful that they're getting home today.  I've missed them, and I learned a few things while they were away.  Here are the top ten.



1)  It's good to keep your mouth closed while emptying the cats' litterbox.  And it's a very good thing that my husband and Ben usually take care of that aspect of pet ownership.

2)  Giving baths makes my back ache, even when I'm not pregnant.

3)  Our family generates an enormous amount of dirt, as made obvious by the vacuum's dirt ...um, receptacle.

4)  It's good to keep your mouth closed while emptying the vacuum's dirt receptacle.

5)  I'm glad my husband tends to the kefir.  It's easy enough, but it's just one. more. thing.

6)  I would have a tremendously hard to being married to a traveling man.  Those of you who manage your households alone for weeks (or more) on end, I commend you. Big time!

7)  Best. Mother-in-law. Ever.

8)  I can see why single mothers stay up late.

9)  Adult conversation is a precious, precious thing.

10)  Cher was right.  Sooner or later, we all sleep alone.

2 comments:

Jill Foley said...

I'm laughing because Kevin wrote a similar post about his time with the girls these past 5 days! The highlights were that he doesn't know how to fold laundry, our kids are cuter and more obedient in blog-land - in real life they are loud and messy, he needs me to go grocery shopping, homeschooling is harder than lecturing to college students, working from home doesn't work.

It's good to have those times apart so we truly continue to appreciate one another, isn't it?

Mindy said...

Jill: That. Is. Awesome.