Saturday, August 11, 2012

The Bite of Oregon


Yesterday my family set out to experience the Bite of Oregon.  In case you don't know, it's a weekend-long celebration of Oregon food - a festival.  It benefits the Special Olympics.  We had never been to the Bite before, but we had a great time!  The weather was perfect, which helped too of course.

Kyle helps saute garlic for a cooking demonstration
We found kids' activities and presentations.  My favorite birthing center hosted a very comfortable place for mamas to relax and nurse their babies.  Pretty much everyone I saw was in a good mood.

Gabe
Oh, and....yeah.  There was really awesome food.

Chicken, spinach & artichoke crepe

chocolate-covered fruit kabob
The kids decorated their own chef hats.



And there was a fun Food Network-style Iron Chef competition


Iron Chef Oregon - Round 1

It was a very worthwhile outing, and I think it's safe to say that we'd all love to go again next year.

Can I tell you a little secret?  Prior to The Big Trip, I nevereverever would have suggested doing this.  I would've wanted to.  I might have stayed home and felt a little sad that we "couldn't go," but felt convinced that it would be too much work.  Not worth it: too hard.

I would have been wrong.  Let me say it again, taking that trip was empowering.  On the same level that natural childbirth is empowering.  We can take on challenges, we can step out, be away from home at naptime, and we will figure it out.  The baby will deal.  We'll survive, and we might even be happy that we did it.




Numerous times on our outing, we heard the words "That's a lot of kids."  And you know what? It is.

I never thought I would have such a large family, not ever.  But I do.  We do.  God has blessed us in this.  It's a challenge, it's stretching, and it's fun.  It's our family.  And I am proud of my kids - in the house or out of it.

No comments: