Tuesday, March 19, 2013

that's not how it works


In my 5-year-old son Owen's Sunday school class, they discussed service.  He came home with a "service spinner", and I'm thinking he might have missed the point.

I could be mistaken, but my thought was that he is supposed to consider ways he might serve others.

Instead, he keeps using the wheel to indicate who is serving at the current moment.  We've tried to explain this, but he refuses to change his mind.  When his brother was emptying the dishwasher, the wheel read "Ben."  As Owen observed me helping my daughter when she had a sore finger, he exclaimed "Oh!  Mom's giving Elise some essential oils!" and rushed over to turn the spinner to say "Mom."

Hmm.  Well, at least he notices when service is occurring around him.  It's better than nothing, I guess...

3 comments:

Terri Johnson said...

Mindy, this is hilarious! Isn't it great, though, that he recognizes your service to him. That's wonderful really!

Jill Foley said...

This is funny - you've got to share this with his teachers!

Joy said...

From little seeds..., you are right at least he is recognizing acts of service going on around him.