Wednesday, November 5, 2008

changing horses, midstream

Benjamin is changing schools.

Largely due to economic difficulties, the school where Ben has been since the fall of 2006, which he loves, is closing. We've known that this was a strong possibility for more than a month now. Despite extra effort from the staff and parents to help out, it seems that the school is indeed buckling. The numbers have been steadily dwindling, and the school (private, Montessori) isn't even coming close to paying for itself.

So we've been scrambling to find another place for our Ben. It's been a bit stressful, as we kept getting told that there were no openings for kindergartners in a Montessori classroom anywhere near us.

But! We heard last week that there was a good chance that Ben will get into the school we've been hoping for. It's ideal: it's a charter school (which will be infinitely better on our pocketbook than another private institution), Montessori, and it's two minutes from our house. We've been so excited about the possibility. I had a chance to tour the school a few weeks ago, and was very impressed by all that I saw. But Ben was several names down on the waiting list, so we didn't dare count on it.

Of course, we're still sad that his beloved school is closing. Ben has loved it there, and made good friends. We were planning to send Kyle there next year, and now we'll have to rework that plan. But most of all, it's such a great school. The teacher there is amazing; she is so good with the children, a natural teacher. So it's really sad that the school she's started, and poured her life into, is failing.

We haven't talked to Benjamin about any of this yet. We wanted to wait until we knew more details, so he wouldn't be adrift in the uncertainty we've been experiencing. Still, I think he suspects. There are currently only four children left in the 3-6 years age group. And there have been so many parent meetings in the evenings, and various conversations going on, that I'm sure has to know that something is up. We're praying that the details will fall into place for the charter school. For now, I hope the conversation with Benjamin goes well, when the time comes. And it's coming soon! It seems the school is officially closing in only two more days...


4 comments:

paige said...

Wow, that's quite a change, but what a relief to have another option open up that you feel so good about.
Any good websites that you'd like to share on the Montessori method? i'd love to implement more of that style of teaching.

Mindy said...

Paige,
Thanks for your comment. We found out yesterday that things are still pretty uncertain about whether Ben'll be able to get into this charter school. If that doesn't work out, we have actually been thinking about me homeschooling him until, maybe, next year.

I don't know, though. Teaching is SO not my gift, and I really can't see how I could fit that into the household's activities right now. But it's the direction we're learning, as opposed to popping him into the public school system for a few months and then taking him back out for Montessori next year...

Here are some websites I came across in my looking last week:
http://www.montessorimaterials.org/
http://homeschooling.gomilpitas.com/methods/Montessori.htm
http://montessori_teacher.tripod.com/montessorihomeschool.html

paige said...

Eek! That's even more exciting! Forgive me for being kind of excited with your seeming misfortune :)
My gift is not teaching either, but man, i've really grown into this lifestyle. i love having them around ~ & honestly, Mindy ~ you're probably doing a lot of what he needs school-wise already. Those early elementary school years are really, so very basic.
Did you see my book review on my blog for _Lies Homeschool Mom's Believe_? Totally worth a read if you do decide to make the big plunge (even if it's only for half a year:)
Hope you have peace with whatever happens. ((hugs))

Mindy said...

I did see your blog entry about that book, and thought it was interesting timing since I was researching Montessori homeschooling methods at the time. :)

I get what you're saying about it, but I somehow don't feel that it would/will be a good fit for me. I'm not trying to be negative about it, but I get a pit in my stomach when I think about it.

I really respect homeschoolers, it's just not something I've ever had any desire to do. Plus, my life feels chaotic enough as it is right now... We'll see, I guess. All this makes my head hurt!