Friday, October 17, 2008

a dozen years ago today...


...my best friend asked me to be his wife. Although I had known a proposal was coming, he took me by surprise all the same.

He was driving me back from college to spend a long weekend at home, and since it was dark, we decided to stop and do some star-gazing (this was something we used to do way back when, back when we didn't drop onto our pillows in exhaustion the moment the sun went down).

Although the day had been overcast, the clouds had cleared away and it was a beautiful, though cold, evening. Jeff reached upward, as if to touch the stars, and when his hand came down, there was a ring. He went down on one knee and asked his question.

My answer? "Yes, a thousand times yes!" And the rest, as they say, is history.

I love you, darlin'. Thanks for being so wonderful to me for so long. You're the only man in the world for me.

5 comments:

Searching for God in the everyday said...

Congratulations! 12 years?? Wow. You two don't seem old enough to be married that long. What were you like 14 when you got married? =)
Thanks for finding us! I put you on my "stalker" list so I can keep up with you guys, too. (Hope you don't mind!) =)

Mindy said...

Sounds great! Let's see...12 years since our engagement...11 1/2 years since we got married... I was 20 years old and Jeff was 23. I know, we were spring chickens!

Brigetta said...

look at your baby faces! how cute :) Andy and I have a picture from when were 18 that is similar. Here's to many more years to come.

Deb said...

Is it just me or does early 20's now seem way to young to get married... like for our kids that is....Scott was 24 and I was 22 and now I look at my nieces and nephew that are those ages and it blows my mind! They're just kids! And not even mine so I can't imagine what I'll be like when that time comes for the girlies! Yikes! Congrats guys! Here's to many more happy years!

Carolyn said...

I even remember this occasion and seeing your sparklie! :-)

Congratulations on the 12th anniversary of your engagement my friend!