Thursday, October 30, 2008

just call me "pioneer woman"

Well, not really.

It's just that I feel a bit like a pioneer at times, having all these adventures in the kitchen. Recently I've tried my hand at making yogurt. I made with with pasteurized, non-homogenized milk first, and then for the next time I used raw milk, and tried it again. I don't eat yogurt, personally, but the other residents of my house do. Besides, I had some recipes I wanted to try which called for homemade yogurt. I'm told it turned out well, and I'm going to have to take their word for it.

Also on the list of things I've been experimenting with: making cream cheese & whey, my own refried beans, chicken stock, and enchilada sauce. Some have been hits and some have been misses, but all have been outside of my comfort zone.

It's kind of fun, though, seeing what I can concoct in the kitchen. I'm sure I'll do a lot more experimenting in the next few months. I certainly never imagine that I'd end up learning to make so many foods from scratch.

I'm even thinking of making a sourdough starter, people. This is stuff out of the Little House books!


4 comments:

Deb said...

so what will you be bringing to Thanksgiving? I hear that we will all be together this year!? I"m excited to try some of your food! :-)

Mindy said...

I haven't decided yet! I'll let you know...or, I'll try to remember to. ;)

Searching for God in the everyday said...

Wow. That's awesome, Mindy! I wouldn't even know where to begin... Good for you and for them.

Unknown said...

Mindy-- When I have some time I do a whole wheat sourdough starter. It's good stuff!