Monday, October 6, 2008

the real deal

Yesterday we had our first trip out to a local farm, where we can buy fresh milk. We were so excited! The boys had a great time. They thought it was very exciting to see the cows, and the farm in general. Ben made some drawings of some of the things he saw on our outing. They include: a pumpkin, a cow, the pen where the goats were , a tree, and a house. Our little reporter was busy drawing the whole time.

And the milk? Delicious! We came home with 2 gallons and nearly polished off the first jar, just at dinnertime. Everyone loved it (I think Ben thought it was super cool that the milk was as fresh as that morning), including me-- and I haven't felt like drinking milk since early in my pregnancy with Owen. Also, I grew up on 1/2% milk and have been drinking skim for years, so I was a little unsure of how I would respond to the thicker stuff. But: yum! I'm hoping that Owen will be able to handle the milk, on account of the raw factor. That seems to be the case with cheese, so here's hoping.

All in all, a great experience. And the boys loved seeing the horses, goats, dairy cows, baby (boy) calf...everything. They hated to leave. I'm so glad my "townie" children have a chance to see where moo juice really comes from.
Posted by Picasa

3 comments:

Carolyn said...

very cool outing! I hope that you are able to enjoy milk and Owen does fine with it!

Brigetta said...

how fun - you know your next blog should be about the homemade butter you churned with your children by hand :) Actually there is a cool activity of rolling the jar back and forth between each other and it eventually turns into butter.... that is if you have all the right ingrediants. Have fun :)

Rena said...

My mom got raw milk for me and my sisters when we were growing up. Wish it wasn't so hard to find here--and we live in dairy country!