Friday, October 10, 2008

sippy cup spurned


So, I know it's a bit early for a sippy cup, but the package said "6+ months" and I thought I'd try it. But...no. All he wanted to do was chew on it.

See, he has never been offered a bottle. Neither Ben nor Kyle really took a bottle very well, but they did okay in a pinch, and at least we had made the attempt with them. Also, when they were babies I had a stash of milk in the freezer. We didn't use a lot of it, but we had it. It's a bit morbid I guess, but I always thought: "What if I get hit by a car? What if I die from an aneurism and he would have no stash of food? What if I end up in a coma and..." I wouldn't say I was afraid of these things happening, exactly, but I recognized the possibility of something sudden and difficult, and prepared for it.

With Owen? No stash. I'm now providing enough milk to mix with his cereal every day, but that's it, for the most part. And we've never even tried him on a bottle. It just seemed like a headache, the pumping before and after...and we didn't really need that "skill" with the other boys.

All the same, it doesn't sit entirely easy with me. Those ugly potentialities still creep into my mind at times. So when I saw this sippy cup for babies, I thought I'd give it a try. You know, for in a pinch for the babysitter or something. And..... nope. Oh, I suppose we'll keep trying when I've got a bit of extra milk in the refrigerator, but for now, for milk, it's me or nothing.

Now we just have to pray that I won't be struck by lightning.
Posted by Picasa

No comments: