Wednesday, July 30, 2008

food stuff(s)

Lately I've been hearing a lot about food and the stuff in it. It's come from several different directions, and I feel like I've been hearing it for a long time and am finally starting to sit up and take notice. Preservatives, sweeteners, sugar, hormones, MSG... It seems that our nation's health is going haywire these days, what with diabetes and autism on the rise. I can't help but wonder if there's a connection.

So, I've been doing some thinking, and reading a lot. I'd like to make some changes to how my family eats. We're generally pretty healthy, or I thought we were. But now I'm seeing a lot of things that still need to be improved.

We're just getting started here. I'm not sure how it will fly, but at least I know my husband is excited about these potential changes. It's mostly the kids I'm wondering about!

I'll check back in with a report after we see how all this goes. The first of several baby steps today: served children "natural" peanut butter instead of my beloved JIF. And no complaints so far!

2 comments:

steve and corrine said...

Sounds good to me! GWAMMA and GWAMPA

oops, we just ate a bowl of ice cream. is that bad?

Cairo Grace said...

ohhhh, Mindy ~ i think everytime i have a baby, i feel a little convinced that i *can* do things a little better. i've felt just huge relief this time getting back into cloth diapering & line drying, improving what we eat as a family. i don't know why each tiny fragile life reminds me of all the impurities & junk that's out there, but it does seem to work that way for me. i hope you have fun on your little journey :)