Friday, February 1, 2013

on skin brushing

In yesterday's post, I mentioned that I've taken up the habit of skin brushing.  It later came to my attention that I neglected to give any details about how I do it, or with what kind of brush, etc.    So here's a humble follow-up post with a few details filled in.  You are so welcome!

Please do keep in mind that I'm certainly no expert; I've only been doing this for a few weeks, myself.  But the more I read, the more I realize that it really is a "done thing."  And I am really seeing results!  I wish I'd taken photos before I began skin brushing - but I truly was so skeptical that I didn't think it was worth it.  Happily, I was wrong.

The Brush
Over and over I see references to a natural bristle brush.  They're available from Amazon.com, but I found mine at the local natural food store New Seasons.   Mine has a long handle...but I almost wish it didn't.  It rather gets in the way.  A short handle or no handle works great too.  Here's the one I have:


The observant reader will notice that I'm missing one "plug" of bristles.  I blame our cats.  Or one of them anyway.

The Routine
I heard about this crazy skin brushing thing through Teresa Tapp.  HERE is the method I've been using.  She also has a kit you can purchase on the T-Tapp website which includes instructions and several other items, but I'm doing the budget-conscious version.

It would seem that it's best to brush when your skin is dry, and follow up with a shower - to wash those sloughed skin cells away.  I have looked at a few different sets of directions, and from what I understand, the main thing is to brush from the extremities toward the heart.  For problem areas (referring to cellulite) you can move the brush in a circular motion, but one should always finish with long strokes.  Use several repetitions in each spot.


That's really all I know.  As I've stated, I am a skin brushing novice - but also a convert.   That being said, I next plan to purchase a facial skin brush.  If skin brushing can make such a difference on serious problem areas, I can only imagine how it might impact the face and neck.  Here's hoping, anyway!

1 comment:

Jill Foley said...

Mine has a long handle and almost immediately after using it I wished it didn't. But it's handy for doing the back.

I wish the results were immediate : )