Monday, February 4, 2013

compare and contrast

The last weekend of January was quite a contrast to February's first.  Although I suppose they did have some similarities, which might be found if one looks intently.  Shall we peer a little closer?

The former...
...followed a hectic week of school, which often seemed to morph into some scene which might have been included in "Lord of the Flies."

The latter...
...followed a trying week of a virus working its way, through our family.   High fevers, dizziness, lack of appetite, lethargy.

The former...
...involved catching up on laundry so as to be well-packed for the grandparents' house.

The latter...
...involved extra loads of laundry so as to rid blankets, pillows and pajamas of any and all germs.

The former...
...found my husband and I spending lavish amounts of time together, holding hands.

The latter...
...found us with a strict "fold your hands when we pray - no touching anyone's hands whatsoever before you eat!" policy when we said grace at mealtime.

The former...
...included a scrumptious brunch in a lovely old restaurant.

The latter...
...included my husband's decision to stay home from our church's monthly Men's Breakfast after being up several hours on Friday night with not one, but two of our brood.

The former...
...found Jeff and I with with racing pulses.

The latter
...found Jeff and I taking temperatures.

The former...
...involved an adult-choice movie while we ate a light meal of popcorn, apples, cheese and spinach dip.

The latter..
...involved an impromptu Muppet Show DVD while we noshed on take-out from one of our favorite local joints, because Mama was too wiped out to work in the kitchen.

The former...
...was an almost Just Us time, full of dreams and laughter.

The latter...
...was a time of family bonding, tenderness and solidarity - even if we didn't hold hands.

The former...
...was an absolute God-send, a wonderful time of rest and rejuvenation.

The latter...
...was a time when I was profoundly thankful for the Lord's provision in allowing me that rest.


~~~~~

You have searched me, Lord,
    and you know me.
You know when I sit and when I rise;
    you perceive my thoughts from afar.
You discern my going out and my lying down;
    you are familiar with all my ways.
Before a word is on my tongue
    you, Lord, know it completely.
You hem me in behind and before,
    and you lay your hand upon me.
Such knowledge is too wonderful for me,
    too lofty for me to attain.

                      ~Psalm 139: 1-6


No comments: