Thursday, September 11, 2008

autumn gush

I love autumn.

I know it's not technically here yet, and even if one were to go by "school has started, it's autumn"... the weather is pretty warm still. But in spite of all that, there's a nip in the air, and...well, after all, it is September. So I'm going to officially embrace autumn's arrival, come what may.

Today I changed the bedding in the master bedroom. It's become a bit of a ceremonial thing with me; I change the bedspread & sheets every autumn and every spring. The spring/summer bedding is cream, blue, and mauve (including a beautiful quilt that Jeff's mom and grandmother made as a wedding present), and the autumn/winter bedding is a warm brown & deep brick red. It always makes me feel so happy to make the seasonal bedding change...it feels like I am ringing in the new part of the year in my own little way.

I can't help it, I just love autumn. I love the crisp morning air, the sunny days (well, while they last) and the smell of dried leaves. I love the other smells of autumn, too: pumpkin, spiced apple... I love the colors of autumn: the warm reds, oranges, browns, yellows, and even grays & blacks. I love the clothes of autumn: my beloved corduroy pants, my cozy sweaters. Getting out my clothes when the weather gets cooler is a bit like getting reacquainted with some old, dear friends.

All this said, I may be singing a different tune come November, when the rain starts in (and doesn't relent for four or five months). But for now, I am going to enjoy this beautiful Oregon autumn while I can. It is truly my favorite time of year.

5 comments:

Brigetta said...

I am so with you on this one! I LOVE this time of year, the crispness in the air energizes me and we have had some exquisite days this week :) Andy will remind me it's still summer.... Mister accuracy but I'm more in your boat- bring on the "autumn gush"

Rena said...

Lovely new blog look!
Personally, I'm always kinda sad to say goodbye to my summer clothes, but I like what you said about getting reaquainted with old, dear fall clothes friends.

Searching for God in the everyday said...

What great visuals...I can almost taste it!
I am so ready, too. It's my favorite time of year.

Deb said...

I say bring on fall... it's candy, it's pumpkin pie, it's fires,it's hot cider,it's birthday party season at the Washington Isom house!!! so bring on fall and let's have some fun! I'm not sure if the fun factor can get much higher than our summer... but I'm willing to give it a try! :)

Mindy said...

You know, my birthday is in the fall, too. Maybe that's part of why I love it so much? Also I usually get clothes with the birthday money my parents send...hmmmm.... ;)