Wednesday, September 3, 2008

the health kick (in the pants)

So, I've always had this longing to be a little bit crunchy.

At least, I have had such a longing for the past five years or so. By "crunchy" I mean... into things which are natural, organic, pure, instinctive, and so on. For some people, "crunchy" translates into Attachment Parenting (co-sleeping, extended breastfeeding, babywearing, cloth diapering, and so on). And while I do breastfeed, use a sling, diaper my baby with cloth, and chose to birth my last two children in water at home, I don't consider that we "do" Attachment Parenting at my house. So I've never exactly been sure how I would fit into the crunchy demographic, although I've always been really attracted to the idea.

But now? It seems that I am finding my niche. Our food odyssey has led me to crunchy eating. And no, I'm not talking about potato chips. We are trying to eat foods that have been largely unprocessed, in a form that is natural for the body to digest. Also a goal: staying away from additives and other artificial ingredients. It's been an interesting journey, and it isn't over yet.

So here I am, shopping for organic food. I'm reading labels, seeking out grass-fed, hormone-free beef, free-range chickens and eggs... cutting down (or out) white flour and sugar, shuddering at the thought of all the crud I've been feeding my children for the past few years. I am not saying that to sit in judgment for the way other people eat, but I just feel that with all I've learned these past few months, I can't go back to the way things were before. So we're trying to find a better way here, which is proving to be a challenge where the children are concerned.

I'll spare you the details of that, though, aside from one thing: Kyle definitely has a fondness for processed food. In addition, he "[doesn't] wike" chicken, burgers, steak, fish, potatoes, eggs, vegetables, and a fair number of fruits. So you can see how this could be a problem.

Still, I think my boys will survive somehow. After a while, this will be a new normal for them. And I have to say, I'm already so happy with the changes we've seen.

7 comments:

Deb said...

Keep up the good work Mindy.. you are inspiring.. also saw that you are reading love and logic.. I loved that book! It really worked with our parenting style.. let me know what you think?!

Mindy said...

Thanks! Right now I am going through a bit of white sugar withdrawal, but Jeff is too so we're encouraging one another. :) We actually started learning about Love & Logic when I was pregnant with Benjamin. We've attended two classes and have a couple of their books, and we love it! But it's something I try to re-read pretty frequently to get re-inspired...

Deb said...

That's a great idea! I should probably re-read it too! Oh, could you send me on e-mail your address so I can send the beach check to you? been meaning to do it for some time but life seems to be getting in the way! ha! Thanks so much for setting up our reunion! We are super excited!

Brigetta said...

Ha! I like your term "crunchy" we say granola... as in she's a granola girl- same thing. I have to say I honestly don't know if I literally could give up white sugar. I am a full blown addict. So I applaud you from my sugary quick sand trap.

Mindy said...

I consider myself a sugar addict, too. We're still in the beginning stages of this...6 days off sugar or me. It's not easy! But I knew it would be hard while "detoxing!" ;)

The thing that surprises me the most right now is how quickly I have lost the last of my pregnancy weight. In fact, I'm lower now than the lowest I could get after Kyle was born. It's crazy! I have always had a hard time losing weight, but the last 5 pounds just melted off. I'm flabbergasted!

Megan said...

Hi! It's Megan from BBC. Thanks for inviting me! I've always had a secret longing to be crunchy, too. It sounds like you're doing great! I'm impressed!

Mindy said...

Hi, Megan! Good to "see" you. :)