Thursday, January 29, 2009

our homeschool

Here are a few photos of Benjamin and Kyle doing their school work. This is Ben writing his numbers on the chalkboard...
Kyle tracing (a dinosaur)... this is his favorite activity, aside from snack!

Benjamin doing banana slicing... (practical life)

And yes, more dinosaur tracing!

If you're wondering how it's going, the answer is...I'm not sure. We started off with great anticipation, and good attitudes, but lately morale has been flagging a bit...mine as well as theirs. I really love the Montessori method, but I'm not sure if I am really able to do it properly at home. And I think I need to get some materials that are a bit more advanced, for my kindergartner. One of my biggest fears is that Benjamin will think this is a sham, not a real school, that I'm trying (and failing) to imitate an honest-to-goodness classroom.

I'm not giving up, though! Yes, it's been a discouraging week, but I am loving the idea of homeschooling more and more (with the exception of wondering how I'll ever have an appointment or be able to run an errand without bringing the whole crew). We just haven't found our groove yet. So, I shall keep on seeking the groove.

Most exciting of all is that we've joined a local homeschooling co-op. It's just getting started,and there will be Friday school for eight weeks, beginning at the end of February. There's a kindergarten class (Ben), a preschool class (Kyle), and there will be a nursery for Owen. I am signed up to help in a class for 1st, 2nd, and 3rd graders, called "Walk the Plank." It is a class about pirates. My boys are going to be so jealous of me! And I'm really excited to get plugged in to a local network, and to make friends who are also homeschooling. I can't wait.

ETA: I am really annoyed at how Picasa3 and Blogger are cooperating lately. I'm sorry if my pictures are sometimes missing. Believe me, I'm as frustrated as you are...

4 comments:

Jeff said...

I'm so proud of you, honey! I know this is way out of your comfort zone, but I know that you have the determination to find your groove.

I'm excited about homeschooling too, and I want to support you in any way I can.

You Rock!

Anonymous said...

Mindy,

I have those days and those weeks. You're doing great! Your kids are getting an awesome education.

(And you will get used to attending appointments with everyone in tow, even to the point that if you ever get to go alone, you'll feel a bit "naked".)

Love, Wardeh

Mindy said...

Wardeh,

Thank you for your kind words. I am very new to all of this. I really appreciate the support that people have given me!

paige said...

mindy - i think it's encouraging to think of the unique things about homeschooling when comparing it to the regular variety...
My guys would enjoy sitting at the front window with hot chocolate on cold days waving to their friends who were bundled up in winter gear for public school...
Or all lounging on the couch for read aloud time - (& me pointing out that at school, they'd likely be sitting in desks...)
Or having hot soup with fresh bread for lunch...
i don't think you want to re-create the classroom at home - just the bits of it that are valuable (i love lots of montessouri ideas too & i know their classrooms wouldn't be 'typical') - but let Benjamin in on the secret that honest to goodness schooling doesn't require an honest to goodness school.