Friday, December 26, 2008

belated Merry Christmas from a winter wonderland

We made it!

On Tuesday morning the highway was suddenly re-opened, and we decided to make a break for it. The suitcases were already packed, but Jeff and I fairly flew around all morning, tending to a million small details that needed attention before we could leave. It was a long trip, 13 hours. As anticipated, it was not an entirely peaceful drive. And our arrival was rough: after 1:00 AM, rousing sleeping children and then getting them back to sleep a while later. But still, so worth it!

We have had a nice visit so far, and we're only about halfway through our time here. If I can figure out how to post pictures on my dad's computer, I will. Otherwise I'll have a quite a lot of blogging to do after we get home next week.

For now, we are enjoying the company of my parents, the warm of their wood stove, and the beauty of the scenery where they live. If you thought we had snow at home, you should see it here: there is a good 36 inches of snow! Happily, we brought our snowshoes. Mom, Benjamin, Kyle and I had a nice tramp around in the snow this morning (the boys were on a sled; what a workout for the arms that is!) and it was just breathtaking. I must take some photos tomorrow...

And so, a belated Merry Christmas to everyone! I hope you've had a blessed time celebrating our Savior's birth. I am so grateful for my family, for health, for Jeff's job, for my sweet boys. And most of all, I am thankful for that gift of baby Jesus: the greatest gift of all.


Now, a couple of prayer requests:

1) Ben hurt his neck yesterday and is in a lot of pain. As near as we can tell, it's a pinched nerve or something of the sort. The pain sort of ebbs & flows, and like a dork I had packed infant Tylenol, Tylenol Cold, Hylands' Teething Tablets, and Sesame Street Band-Aids, but NOT regular old Tylenol (or Advil) for my sweet 6-year-old. It's not serious, but it hurts to see him like this, and it definitely puts a damper on his time at grandma & grandpa's house. Would you pray that he would feel better soon?

2) If it's possible, Kyle is sleeping even worse here than he had been during the autumn at home. Only now the five of us are in a room together, so everyone's sleep is disturbed. Would you pray that his sleep would be sweet, and that our family would be able to to enjoy some decent rest while we're here? Thank you so much.


On the upside, we enjoyed Owen's first Christmas, our happy day yesterday, and being with my parents for Christmas, after all. Now if only I could get over my lack-of-high-speed-Internet withdrawal symptoms!

Have a wonderful, magical week!

1 comment:

Brigetta said...

Glad you made safely there adn enjoy the rest of your time there!