Monday, December 22, 2008

socked in

You'd never know it to read my blog (thanks to Blogger's faithfully posting scheduled entries!) but the past few days have been quite an adventure around here. The snow has been steadily increasing since Friday. I would be surprised if anyone in the city had church on Sunday. It's astounding to look out the window; I have never seen such snow here.

And to top things off, yesterday afternoon we lost power. It's been quite an adventure since then. Thankfully we have a gas fireplace, so we do have a source of heat even when the electricity is on the fritz. But staying warm has still been a challenge. And we've been scrambling to try and use up the perishable food.

We were without power for 22 hours. It came back for 1 hr 20 minutes this afternoon, and then was gone again for another hour and a half or so. During our brief respite this afternoon Jeff and I scrambled around like crazy people: cooking, making popcorn, running the dishwasher and the clothes dryer.

Obviously I am taking advantage of having power on again to do a little blogging. I just wanted to share what's been going on, but also to ask for prayer. We cannot be confident that the power will remain on, and we could be in for an interesting night. It's already been a struggle: morale, preparing food, keeping everyone warm. Also, we were supposed to be heading to visit my parents in north Idaho for Christmas. It is looking as though that will likely not happen. This is a really sad thing all around (Kyle was in tears last night because he wanted to go to Idaho just then). We were really eager to be with them for Christmas. But... the highways are all closed, the weather outside is frightful, and, to top it off, our part of the city has been declared to be in a state of emergency.

Somehow I doubt we'll be getting out of town any time soon.

4 comments:

Deb said...

hang in there guys! Is this crazy or what? Stay warm and keep us posted when you can! Maybe New years in Idaho would be fun?! :-)

Brigetta said...

Oh my goodness this is a mess!!! 22 hours Mindy? It's so frightening to realize how dependent we are on power, I panicked when ours went off. Thank goodness Russ and Judy live close by, I honestly don't know what we would have done. We are home for tonight and I am praying and praying we keep the power. I'll pray for you and you pray for me :). This is just unreal. Hang in there.

Searching for God in the everyday said...

So, did you have power last night? We are praying for you. I must say that the pics are incredible!

Mindy said...

We got power back for good (so far!) yesterday afternoon around 4pm. I must say, I am deliriously happy to have it back! Although the house is so HOT this morning. We had the thermostat turned up way high so that if we lost power again we'd have a head start. It's so great to have the house feel warm again, though.

We are tentatively thinking of trying to "get out of Dodge" today. Jeff is currently out to see if he can even make it out of our neighborhood in the van. I'll try go post if we do make a break for it. This may be our only chance.