Friday, April 24, 2009

homemade "pop tarts"

My boys love pop tarts. And frankly, I refuse to buy them anymore. So I was thrilled when I found a recipe for homemade pop tarts online at Chez Pim. It's genius! Why didn't I think of this? (Well, I guess it could be that I'm not a genius....)


First you take a piece of pie crust dough, shape it into a rectangular shape, and roll it out...

I like to trim the edges a bit, although I couldn't cut a straight line if my life depended on it. Then I transfer to a baking sheet & spread on some jam. I like to use 100% fruit spread; this is blackberry. Mmm!

...Fold it in half & crimp the edges with a fork. I had a little 3-year-old help with this project.

Brush it with an egg wash and cut some vents in the top...

Bake... And voila! Homemade, refined-sugar-free* pop tarts.**

No, the jam on the bottom was not intentional. We had a little over-stuffing problem (more child "labor") and there was a jam issue. But still, delicious! My kids were thrilled, and I am too.



*I used a pie crust recipe which called for flour, butter, salt, and a pinch of stevia. It's also my preference to use a 100% fruit spread instead of sugar-sweetened jam.

**These are obviously not traditional "pop tarts" in the sense that they would go in the toaster and pop out again. But a toaster oven would be lovely. And frankly, we've never toasted pop tarts in our house, we like 'em straight out of the box...

8 comments:

Samantha said...

wow, what a great idea and sooo much healthier!

Joy said...

That's great!
How long did you cook it?

Mindy said...

Joy,

I baked it for 20 minutes or so at 400 F. It depends on the pie crust. The link I posted (where I found the recipe) has great photos and more instructions...much better than my effort! But I know practice will make perfect. :)

Molly said...

I'm SO going to try this! Thanks for sharing!

Erin said...

looks yummy

Mama said...

It sounds and looks wonderful. Thanks, dear daughter.

Ami said...

Yummy! I've been making those since my junior high home ec class. :) Glad your family is enjoying them.

Rena said...

What a great idea, thanks!