Friday, April 3, 2009

unraveling

Everything seems to be unraveling lately. My closets. My kitchen. Any shred of organization. My entire house, along with any hope of order.

And I'm not really handling it well. I didn't handle it very well in December of 2007 when we (and by "we" I mean Jeff and some other guys) re-did the floor of our downstairs. It's all just...upheaval. Furniture moved out of rooms, everything rearranged, a huge amount of extra clutter, piled on top of any previous clutter. I hate it. It's the kind of thing that makes me seriously question whether I could ever handle any major kind of home improvement project. I really think it has the potential to make me lose my mind. Therefore, we shopped more for bigger houses than for, say, big lots where we could build onto the house. A friend recently told me the story of when they added onto their kitchen and dining room. She cooked Thanksgiving in her winter coat because there was a wall missing. Me? I would come unglued.

Just the same, I am struggling with even this. Rooms half packed, the couch lined with boxes. Deciding what we'll need in the next three week or so, and what we can live without. Trying to imagine what it will be like to make the actual transition, when I'll have to stop cooking in this kitchen, etc.

And, of course, there is the cooking. A daily task, as I am out of practice at doubling recipes and freezing half of it ~ not to mention the fact that we've implemented a new budget, and I have yet to figure out just how to make that function, budget-wise. I'm working it out one week at a time, but buying extra and stocking up is still a bit of a mystery. I'll figure it out, but that's not helping the way my life feels right now.

Unraveling.

I'm behind. I'm sure a big part of it is that we've been sick for the past month or so. First there was Benjamin's pneumonia, the rest of us have had colds. And then a second round, which included a fever for both Owen & I. This turned into an ear infection... you get the idea. So it's been a challenge to keep up with the laundry & cleaning (not that I'm that great in the best of times). I'm keeping my head above water when it comes to food preparation, but barely. And I always seem to be a step behind on the clean-up...

And then there's the packing.

I think I may be a bit in denial of the fact that we are moving in three weeks. I mean, I'm packing, but...there is a lot to pack. We're talking about seven years' worth of stuff, including the transition from being a childless couple to having three boys. It's overwhelming to think about; I barely seem to scratch the surface, and I inevitably stir up a mess every time I make an attempt. This only adds to the general feeling that I am losing control of my house here.

Still, I have no doubt that it'll all be worth it. I am eager and excited about the change that we're making. I know that this is a necessary step in the process; that what will be moved must first be taken a part. But it's all pretty unsettling, unnerving. I feel that I'm living in a chaos of my own making.

I'll just focus on the idea of everything being knit together again....

5 comments:

Lauren said...

Aw....I feel you. But, have no fear... In 6 months you will think back to how fun this was....seriously. And purge, purge, purge.....

Searching for God in the everyday said...

I will be praying for you! Hey, have you heard of freecycle? If you're going to do some purging, that's a good way to go because people will come pick up stuff and you don't have the extra task of tossing it in your car and hauling it somewhere else. Worked great when we moved with ours being 2 and 3 months.

Rissa said...

I will definitely be praying for you, too. It sounds overwhelming and a bit exhausting, too - may you be filled with peace as you prepare for this change, and may you look back and be amazed at how seamless and smooth the transition was. I've never experienced your exact situation, but when we've moved, it's helped me to not allow myself to think of anything else but the day directly before me. What can I do today? What needs my immediate attention? What can I focus on in order to help accomplish the bigger goal? What resources do I have right NOW? It may seem simplistic but I don't think I could have kept my cool without that mindset.
The photos from your future home are wonderful. I love your kitchen!

KRISTEE SMITH said...

Moving is definitely one of the most stressful things a person can do. Three weeks is a long time to live out of boxes. I wish I could come and help you get your mind off it and then when it comes closer to the move help you cram it all into boxes real quick. I'm a pro at it! Hang in there Mindy. It won't be long now. Focus on making each day the best it can be as much as you can.

Rena said...

I know this is such a stressful time. Somehow, someway it will all come together. Praying for you!