Sunday, April 19, 2009

silver linings

Okay, so yesterday was hard. I know that things could be so much worse; I get that. But somehow, as Jeff put it, the color of the whole thing has changed. We feel deflated, maybe even a bit depressed. We were on the home stretch, we could see the light at the end of the tunnel. We could almost taste it all. And now, because of an unlikely request that set off a chain reaction, it's all on hold.

Thank you all for your sweet comments. While I am still struggling with feeling blue over the snag we've hit with our move, I'm trying to keep things in perspective. I have a wonderful husband, healthy & vibrant children, and a Lord who loves me beyond my understanding. We should still be moving into our new house -- in the matter of a few weeks. And our buyers think they'll still be able to swing the purchase of this one.

So, in the meantime, I'm going to count my blessings. Here is a list of a few silver linings which I've found...

  • There are now a few more weeks to finish cleaning out those closets, as well as wiping out drawers.
  • We won't be in the middle of moving on the last day of Friday school (or barely moved on Showcase Night/Parents' Night).
  • Instead of moving this week, we will be able to take advantage of the beautiful weather they're forecasting. We can to go to the park, have a picnic, etc. Maybe even go to the zoo!
  • There's more time to lay a good food supply: an extra jar of almond butter, lots of crispy nuts, a few more meals in the freezer for when I'll be a bit busy to cook...
  • My neighbor had a baby a few weeks ago, and I somehow haven't found the time to take her something and see how things are going. I've regretted that, and this gives me a bit of a breather and a chance to do those things.
  • We have a few more chances to book our across-the-street babysitter while she still lives across the street.
  • I just realized that I just may get to see my Mother's Day lilac bush in bloom one more time! I've been sad about leaving that bush, to tell you the truth. The thought of getting to see it bloom again almost makes the wait worthwhile.

Silver linings. It may not the way I could choose, but we'll survive. And Lord-willing, in a few weeks we'll be settling in to our new home.
13Now listen, you who say, "Today or tomorrow we will go to this or that city, spend a year there, carry on business and make money." 14Why, you do not even know what will happen tomorrow. What is your life? You are a mist that appears for a little while and then vanishes. 15Instead, you ought to say, "If it is the Lord's will, we will live and do this or that." 16As it is, you boast and brag. All such boasting is evil. 17Anyone, then, who knows the good he ought to do and doesn't do it, sins.
James 4:13-17

5 comments:

Lauren said...

Now this is nice to hear.

The zoo, the park, homemade meals, extra time to clean.....sounds nice to me!

Erin said...

I am sorry things aren't working out as planned but it is very refreshing to hear your positive perspective on it!

Sarah, Nathen, Aiden, and Evan said...

what about more time for your Not Me Mondays??:) I miss reading them, but will patiently wait it out until you have more time for it.

Mindy said...

Sarah -- Thanks! I did think about it, but I think I'll wait until Stellan is out of the hospital. It doesn't seem right to do it without MckMama, somehow.

Rena said...

So sorry to hear about the delay! So disappointing and a major hassle after being all geared up for the move. Maybe it will turn out to be a blessing in disguise.