Saturday, May 23, 2009

counting blessings

This has been a really hard week.

The reality has hit, that our house is really back on the market. We're largely at the mercy of who wants to come see the house, and when. Thankfully, at this point we haven't had to leave at any very inconvenient (read: Nap!) times. Still, it's an emotional roller coaster.

Then, on Wednesday we learned that the house we'd planned to buy has a sale pending. And it seems like it hurts more than it should. Here's the thing: we had decided to make a commitment to this house. We'd examined it, resolved that it would work well for us, invested in it. We paid for an appraisal and two inspections. We took the boys to choose bedrooms, spent hours arranging furniture in our minds.

At the risk of offending (forgive me if that's you, please), I feel a bit like a jilted bride. I was ready to make a commitment, to build a home in this place, to take this thing on for years and years to come. So, knowing that that dream has gone up in smoke, without so much as a "by your leave," smarts. A lot.

We're so blessed to be in this position; we don't have to sell, we just want to. We're looking to "move up," and it's great that we're able to do that. And it's a great time to sell, if you happen to find a buyer who can get a good loan.

So although we've been feeling really sad this week, putting away our hopes and dreams for the present...I'm going to count my blessings.

16Be joyful always; 17pray continually; 18give thanks in all circumstances, for this is God's will for you in Christ Jesus. -- 1 Thessalonians 5:16-18

I'm thankful for...
  • a healthy family
  • beautiful, enthusiastic children
  • a place to live
  • a patient, loving, and fun husband
  • Jeff's job
  • the fact that both my parents and Jeff's parents are still married and in love
  • watching Owen toddle
  • Kyle's zest for life
  • Ben's growing more accomplished in his reading
  • the ability to buy and prepare whole foods for my family
  • having a budget (yes, really)
  • my church
  • the friendships that have blossomed in my life
  • the ever-present, undeserved love of Christ Jesus
I could go on, but I'll stop there. My goal is to keep my eyes on God's grace, press on, and remember that "all I have in [Him] is more than enough." (from the song "Enough" by Chris Tomlin)

5 comments:

Samantha said...

what a great reminder. I'm sorry about your house situation, that's totally not cool!

I complain way too much in life, thanks for the reminder to be joyful and count ALL of my blessings! :)

I hope the house stuff works out for you. And I know it will because we know God has got it all under control.... :)

Anonymous said...

Mindy, five years ago, the house we had put a contract on, was sold out from under us (before we could get a buyer), not just once, but twice! I, too, felt absolutely crushed inside. I did all the same things -envisioning our life there, but in the end, the house we did buy, was far more than anything I could have imagined God doing. Hang in there - God always has a, well - I don't want to say "bigger" or "better", but a more "perfect" blessing that's exactly what your family will need and LOVE. I love the house we are in and I no longer pine for the house we "almost" had. Trust God. Your blessing will come at the perfect time and it will be wonderful. Love, Dove

Joy said...

Sending hugs and prayers across the country from me to you. I am so impressed by how you have handled all the stress and disappointment. You are honest and real but always find your way back to a place of hope and trust. Yay you!!

Mama said...

I, too, believe that God has something better for you, that some day you will marvel at how God worked His will in your family's situation. You are dealing with this disappointment so well, by God's grace, and I'm amazed. You are such a blessing to everybody who reads your blog.

Kristin said...

So hard...it is hard to balance wants with God has for us, isn't it? But He truly understands our hearts!