Monday, May 25, 2009

Memorial

I would like to take a moment to say "thank you" to those who so bravely serve our country, willing to make the ultimate sacrifice. We hear so often that freedom isn't free, and it's true. I'm sure that there are innumerable details of which we remain unaware ~ both good and bad. But the fact is, these men and women are willing to lay down their lives for the United States of America, and her people. I cannot fathom what it must feel like to be in that position ~ but I'm grateful.

I never knew my Uncle Mike. He died in Vietnam, years before I was born. My father's only brother, he is known to me only secondhand. He was only one of so many who have fallen in battle, but he and I are connected. I will always remember my unknown Uncle Mike, my father's big brother.

So tonight I'm thankful for those who were willing to take the fall for me. May God bless America, and have mercy on us.

No comments: