Saturday, May 9, 2009

market day

Today marked the return of our local Farmers' Market; and there was much rejoicing! It was so good to be back again! We made a family outing of it this morning, and came home with quite the bounty.

I had been curious to see what we might find today. I've never really paid much attention before to eating seasonally (and locally), but we've been trying to do that as much as we can. There was the expected asparagus, and we also bought spinach, green onions, apples, and pears. We also stocked upon raw, local honey ~ and the boys always love to have honey sticks!
(No, the apples and pears didn't make it into the photo. Feel free to use your imagination.)
I also bought a candle for my secret sister at church (who, I trust, doesn't read this blog!!) and some body wash for myself.

Last, but certainly not least, we bought a few pounds of wonderful, grass-fed beef. I love it!

I'm greatly looking forward to the next few months, to discover (and buy) more foods which the seasons provide in this part of the country. Eating locally/seasonally is something that's become really important to me. I'm planning to share more about that in the future, but for now, let's just say I'm thrilled to have the Farmers' Market back in swing again!

No comments: